A dog with a haunting past can become fearful. A rescued dog who fails to forget what happened to it may take a much longer time to adjust to its new family. The situation can be extremely difficult, and you may feel that you have brought in a danger to your home and should return it to the shelter. But here is where you may give a second thought. When you adopt a pet, you are responsible to help it gain its lost confidence and trust. You can take the help of our services for dog boarding in Oklahoma to train your dog empathetically and help it overcome its fear.
Here are some useful tips to deal with a fearful dog in the right way.
- No direct medication can change the behavior of your dog. It had a very different life before, and it needs your patience to overcome the trauma. This is the first thing you should keep in mind before starting. Next, be determined not to give up on it. It’s a difficult, but not impossible, goal to achieve.
- Understanding the perspective of your dog may be difficult, but you should do this to help your beloved pet. It may seem stressful to understand what makes it afraid. But a tortured dog abandoned in a shelter sees everything from its past viewpoint. This causes it to distrust everyone around it. You can seek therapy through dog boarding in Oklahoma if your pet is going through this situation.
- Anything that is new and different from its past may scare your dog. You should wait patiently to let it settle in and get comfortable. Once it becomes accustomed to the new and changed environment, its body will release tension and it will stop getting afraid.
- Handling a fearful dog may take time. It may seem that there is no progress at all, but after a few weeks or months, you will notice a difference. Patience is the main key in dealing with your new pet. If you take help from dog boarding in Oklahoma, you can visit your dog and see the progress in its behavior.
- Know that the feeling of fear is painful for your dog. Once the therapy is over and your dog has recovered from its fear, your dog will return to a normal life. And this will be the reward for you, as a dog parent.
- Giving up on the dog is obviously not a solution, and neither is doing nothing. You need to understand the reason behind its fear and that the proper therapy will help it relax and become comfortable. The staff at our facility for dog boarding in Oklahoma can suggest the best solutions for your dog to gift it with the normal life it deserves.