It is said that love accompanies possessiveness and as for the most unconditional lover it is definitely true. Yes, we are talking about the dog. It is psychologically proven that a dog is a very possessive animal and it hates to compete with other dogs or even humans to get attention from their loved ones. Therefore, no wonder that if someone gets very close to you, no matter if it is a dog or human, your dog would not take it casually. If it was a dog, it can result in dogfight.
Other than at your home, it is also a common thing in a dog park. In fact, the scenario can take place in dog boarding as well. But fortunately, dog boarding centers in Edmond, OK, take care of these situations well. The boarding centers have well-trained workers who have been trained for several hours professionals. So that there won’t be any fighting between two dogs, they take full precautions.
What They Do to Prevent Dog-Fighting
Food and toys are the two most risky things that can ignite dog-fighting. Dogs can also become extra possessive about their loved ones and protecting them, they can show aggression.
- The best way suggested by experts is to feed the dogs away from each other, otherwise they are prone to getting involved in fights.
- Washing the food bowls immediately will prevent growth of their possessiveness and there will be less chance of a fight.
- It is dangerous to remove toys or bones from your dog. It is better to distract its attention to something else before taking it away.
There are several warning signs of dogfight. The professional dog trainers from dog boarding centers in Edmond, OK, recognize these signs and take precautionary steps to prevent the consequences.
- Raised hackles
- Flattened ears
- Bared teeth
- Downward tail
If you see two dogs are giving any of these signs, you have to be on alert. As these are the prior sign of an attack. The professional caregivers handle such situations carefully, so the dogs won’t get hurt and the other staff remain safe. Here are some of the methods they us.
- Distraction is a good way to change their focus. You can make a loud noise, or a metallic sound so that the dogs get shocked and change focus. You can also try putting a blanket on them so that they can’t see each other to fight.
- The ‘wheelbarrow’ method is also effective here. Two professionals can raise the fighting dogs’ hind legs from the back so that they have to stand on their front legs. Thus, they can to be away from each other. The sudden awkwardness will divert the dogs’ mind.
- When there is nothing to apply these methods, putting a barrier between the two will stop the fighting.
You can trust Puppy Paws Salon and Spa, a reliable dog boarding center in Edmond, OK, for boarding your dogs for the hours you are out of the house. They have a proper setting to keep the dogs safe and healthy.